Thursday 18 December 2014

Maya Tutorials: Rendering with Softaware

UPDATE 18/12/2014: Disregard this problem. I discovered doing another tutorial that the reason I could not see anything was because I had created the layer in the wrong layering channel. It was in a display rather than a render layer

    Continuing from last night I decided to see what progress I could make with the Maya tutorails. Things did not go smoothly however, first minor issue was the smooth proxy system didn't like rendering the whole thing at once, I tried numerous settings and the settings advised but each time the software only smoothed out the rear left wheel. I eventually concluded the best solution was to render each primitive one-at-a-time.
    The other issue I had - which upon discovery has killed my momentum - was discovering how basic layer attributes had gotten compared to Maya 2013, including the checkboxes that Alan mentioned had been in Maya since version 1. I got hit with the blow that in this version Autodesk decided to remove an important feature that had been in their product for 16 years and what they left behind was...I don't know.

    I've become stuck on how to continue as it looks like virtually none of the parameters that will be useful are there and the ones that are there look basic to the point of being unhelpful.

    @Alan, @Simon or anyone, if any know how to get around this problem, please let me know because right now I do not know if I can progress any further with this tutorial. Until then I will see if I have better luck with the Depth of Field tutorial.


3 comments:

  1. Hi Mark,
    If you post with @Alan and @Simon in the title, you are more likely to get a speedier response, as they will know that you are looking for help :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. One thing you will find and I have with numerous programs. Sometimes companies can't be bothered to support certain features (requiring them to rewrite code/troubleshoot/etc) anymore especially because its much easier just to create something new which they "think" is better in the long run (like the invention of the interactive split tool to replace the superior split poly tool). When I was working in the Unreal Engine a former business partner kept upgrading to the newest version to get what he considered to be "better features". The only problem with that was we'd usually lose functionality in something else because the engine no longer supported it.

    Programs only get so big and companies want to provide people with more freedom but sadly that usually means that occasionally they will choose to get rid of something that worked perfectly well because they didn't want to go and wade through thousands of lines of code... Lazy? certainly Human? most defiantly Inevitable? always....

    xXStItChXx

    ReplyDelete