Thursday 13 October 2016

Major Project: Developing Ceti 821


  I've been nursing a minor cold lately which I believe has slowed me down a little. When I got around to work, my focus was on the base, now that Four has come along quite nicely. I looked back on the various themes I had collected, the main thing I wanted to take away when designign the three primary rooms was that each one had to feel distinct. Each room required its own atmosphere, its own feel. The biolab (2) and office (4) are empty mainly because I wanted to pace myself and not get bogged down in the detail.

  I also want each room to feel part of a greater whole: Sterile and mechanical for the biolab, comfortable and oozing importance for the adminsitrator's office, and familiar for David's room (I realised today and yesterday that as a senior scientist, David's quarters on the station would be more luxurious than the small "bed and a desk" rooms I was drawing initially. Given David's personality however, at least at the animation's beginning it would still be quite a stark and aescetic home. There would be little clutter with everything organised, which would become less so as the story moves on.

  To help understand what I need to build, I looked into creating an inventory list. Most of it is small props; pens, mugs, sheets of paper with some larger props like chairs and tables.

Biolab

  • Test tubes
  • Computers
  • X-ray photographs
  • MRI photographs
  • Centrifuge
  • Pens
  • Experiment reports
  • Computers
  • Stools
  • Tables
  • Coffee mugs 

Dormitory

  • Desk 
  • Table
  • Computer terminal
  • Phone
  • Pens
  • Rug?
  • Coffee mug
  • Photograph

Office

  • Executive desk
  • Executive chair
  • Office chairs
  • Pens
  • Computer terminals
  • Rug
  • Computer banks?
  • Financial reports
  • Mug?

1 comment: